Monday, March 12, 2007

March (Movie) Madness!

Now that it's NCAA basketball tournament time, Bracketology is in the air. So I thought, wouldn't it be a riot to hold a bracket-style tournament that pits movies against each other?

My answer was, of course, yes it would!

So I have created a bracket that contains 64 classic movies divided into four regions, with each region having 16 movies seeded 1 through 16. For those of you who aren't familiar with the college basketball bracket structure, I'll explain it here. For those of you who are, skip this part.


    In each region the #1 seed plays the #16 seed, the #2 seed plays the #15 seed, and so on to #8 vs. #9. The higher seeds (with 1 being the highest), would be considered the "favorite" for that round. So say for example Casablanca is the #1 seed taking on #16 Rocky (I'm not saying that's what it is, just using them as an example). Casablanca would be the clear-cut favorite to win that match and move to the next round. For a visual idea of what a bracket looks like (this as it pertains to this year's basketball tournament), click here.


Okay, here are the details:

  • GRAND PRIZE: Winner will receive her/his choice of any DVD from the list of 64 competing films.

  • You can download the bracket with the movies and their match-ups by clicking on the image at the bottom of this post (don't just save the image below because it's pretty small -- click the image and it'll take you to a larger version, and you can download that).

  • If you choose to participate, you must send me your completed picks by this Friday, March 16, at 5 p.m. Eastern (2 p.m. Pacific). You may either email your picks to me in the body of an email, or use some software magic to write your picks onto the bracket, then email the filled-out bracket to me. If you choose to email, just write the winners out for each round.

  • Scoring: You get 1 point for each first-round match you pick correctly; 2 points for second round; 4 points for third round; 6 points for fourth round; 8 points for fifth round; 10 points for picking the Champion.

  • Tiebreaker: In the event of a tie, whoever correctly chose both finalists will win. If that does not determine the winner, we'll back up to the final four and whoever correctly chose the most in that round wins, and so on back through the bracket.

  • The 64 movies in the Movie Madness tournament were all taken from AFI's list of 100 greatest movies. I did not, however, adhere to their rankings. I realize there can be endless debate regarding what movies should have gotten in and shouldn't have. These are the movies I chose. Debate all you want, but the choices and seedings are set and will not change.

  • Unlike the NCAA basketball tourney, where teams really play each other and score points for a clear-cut winner, I have gone through and chosen who wins each match. I made my decisions based on my vastly superior film knowledge, which is even more arrogant than it sounds. I guarantee you will not like all of my choices. As a matter of fact, I guarantee you will hate every single choice I make that you didn't choose. I look forward to the comments to that effect!

  • Here is the match schedule (when the results of that round will be posted):

    Winners of Round 1, Godard and Kurasawa Regions: Saturday, March 17, 2 p.m. Eastern
    Winners of Round 1, Bergman and Fellini Regions: Sunday, March 18, 2 p.m. Eastern
    Winners of Round 2, Godard and Kurasawa Regions: Monday, March 19, 2 p.m. Eastern
    Winners of Round 2, Bergman and Fellini Regions: Tuesday, March 20, 2 p.m. Eastern
    Winners of Sweet 16, All Regions, Wednesday, March 21, 2 p.m. Eastern
    Winners of Elite 8, All Regions, Thursday, March 22, 2 p.m. Eastern
    Winners of Final 4, Friday, March 23, 2 p.m. Eastern
    Champion, Saturday, March 24, 2 p.m. Eastern

  • With each update, I'll post all the participants' scores at that point. With the Champion post, I'll post the final contest results.

If you have any questions, or need anything clarified, email me or post a comment. And make sure you play, because you've got nothing to lose!

Here's the bracket!


CLICK HERE TO READ FORMER HALOSCAN COMMENTS TO THIS POST (please use Blogger comments from now on)

No comments: