Sunday, April 11, 2004

I want to be Charlie Kauffman.

For those of you (that's the two people besides myself who read my blog) who don't know, Charlie Kauffman is a screenwriter. He wrote Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

He's fucking brilliant. He keeps writing interesting, unpredictable stories with fascinating plotlines and gripping dialogue. He's certainly not for everyone -- I know plenty of people who hated Malkovich and Adaptation. But somehow he's been able to write intelligent and challenging screenplays that GET MADE. And get made well, with some amazing performances.

I rented Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, which is the is-it-or-is-it-not-true story of Chuck Barris of Gong Show fame, over the weekend and was enthralled. Sam Rockwell was spooky as Barris. Then I went and saw Eternal Sunshine and it blew me away. When 98% of all movies are some level of predictable crap, is so refreshing to see originality getting made.

Damn!

No comments: