Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Do you devour or do you savor?

Julie and I were talking the other night about reading; specifically, reading quickly vs. slowly. Our daughter, Emma, had just read a pretty sizable book in the span of a few hours, and I said that she's skimming vs. reading every word. Julie, who also reads very quickly, disagreed and said she and Emma just read fast. There are certainly book I've flown through, but I know it's because they're easy to skim. I skip right over the expository bullshit without missing an ounce of plot (hello, DaVinci Code) and before I know it, I've finished the book. But typically I savor the book, reading every word with very little if any skimming at all. Right now, for instance, I'm reading Clive Barker's Imajica, which is some seriously heady shit. It's a long and involved book that's taking me forever to read, but it's also thoroughly enjoyable because every word in it has specific purpose (unlike, say, a Stephen King uber-novel). How about you? How do you read? Are you strictly one way or the other, or does it depend on the type of book or author as it does with me?

READ HALOSCAN COMMENTS.

No comments: